Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Latest Beta build is now at

One thing I noticed though is that Being a DIK is showing (0) reviews which messes up its weighted rating. Not sure if you want me to report that here or in Github but thought I should mention.
Don't know which version you're on, but regardless, even with the latest you'll need to do a full recheck on BaDIK to get the votes count showing properly again.
And probably any other game where the vote count shows as zero. Although for me BaDIK is the only one with a vote count > 1000

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyJL
Mar 23, 2021
First is that, like a lot of software, I have to mark the app as unquarantined the first time I download it, like:
Code:
sudo xattr -cr /Applications/F95Checker.app
This would be expected behavior, it happens with Windows as well via the Open File Security Warning.

Example Only:
1725494678933.png

IDK about your second issue, that is odd. DB Indexing maybe???

• Thinking Face
Reactions: batblue

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
IDK about your second issue, that is odd. DB Indexing maybe???
I thought about that too, but the fact that it comes right up when you run it from the command line makes me think it has to be something about running the .app bundle specifically. My best guess is that Rosetta 2 is processing and caching all the libraries in the app bundle. It's certainly weird.

rentalunshipped982

Mar 23, 2023
Latest Beta build is now at

Don't know which version you're on, but regardless, even with the latest you'll need to do a full recheck on BaDIK to get the votes count showing properly again.
And probably any other game where the vote count shows as zero. Although for me BaDIK is the only one with a vote count > 1000
Worked perfectly for me!

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
First is that, like a lot of software, I have to mark the app as unquarantined the first time I download it, like:
Code:
Also, the first time I run each new version of the .app, it takes a really long time to start up. Like 5-10 minutes of bouncing in the dock. Sometimes getting in Activity Manager or the terminal and killing the processes, and then running again, helps. No idea what that's about since it doesn't do that if I run it from the terminal.
Hmmm do you do that only to the .app after extracting the archive? Or also to the support libraries?
On Windows for instance, if you don't remove the zone identifier from the archive, every file inside will have that flag after extraction, not just the executable.
I've made it a habit to always clear the zone identifier flag from downloaded stuff, archives, images, the lot. Since I know it can cause weird security issues like smartscreen getting in the way.

I'm curious to hear if the same thing happens if you do that to the archive before extracting it.

----------------------------------
I am using Build 1187 with the browser addon but am unable to see the indicator of installed games here on the site.
Is this your first install? In other words, if you had a previous version running, did you have the extension installed already too?
And which browser? And on threads you have in your library? does it show nothing at all or a blank rectangle?

And Edge has this dumb quirk that it disables user extensions after two weeks, does it show in the toolbar?

Last edited:

rentalunshipped982

Mar 23, 2023
Hmmm do you do that only to the .app after extracting the archive? Or also to the support libraries?
On Windows for instance, if you don't remove the zone identifier from the archive, every file inside will have that flag after extraction, not just the executable.
I've made it a habit to always clear the zone identifier flag from downloaded stuff, archives, images, the lot. Since I know it can cause weird security issues like smartscreen getting in the way.

I'm curious to hear if the same thing happens if you do that to the archive before extracting it.

----------------------------------

Is this your first install? In other words, if you had a previous version running, did you have the extension installed already too?
And which browser? And on threads you have in your library? does it show nothing at all or a blank rectangle?

And Edge has this dumb quirk that it disables user extensions after two weeks, does it show in the toolbar?
I had the stable build and extension installed before I installed build 1187. I'm using Firefox and it's not showing anything (not a black rectangle) on any threads including those I have in my library. Reinstalling the extension did not help. I know that the extension itself is working because I am able to add games to the application.

batblue

Sep 6, 2021

Kind of both. On Mac, the .app is actually a directory (with subdirectories) that bundles all the executables, libraries, data, and so on for an application. So the -r parameter to xattr is actually applying the change recursively to every file throughout the whole .app directory structure. Having to do the xattr trick is pretty common for software that comes packaged in a zip file instead of macOS's preferred .dmg format.

I'll give running xattr against the zip file a try when I have a chance, but in my experience with other software, you have to run it on the .app post-unzip.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I'm using Firefox and it's not showing anything (not a black rectangle) on any threads including those I have in my library. Reinstalling the extension did not help.
Regular Firefox, ESR or developer version?
I know from past experience that it was a struggle to even get the extension installed in the first place, don't know about re-installing as have never tried that.
I'll try and see what gives, (don't normally use FF my self)

----------------------------------------------

Kind of both. On Mac, the .app is actually a directory (with subdirectories) that bundles all the executables, libraries, data, and so on for an application. So the -r parameter to xattr is actually applying the change recursively to every file throughout the whole .app directory structure. Having to do the xattr trick is pretty common for software that comes packaged in a zip file instead of macOS's preferred .dmg format.

I'll give running xattr against the zip file a try when I have a chance, but in my experience with other software, you have to run it on the .app post-unzip.
Learn something new every day. Don't own a mac nor ever used one. So doing this pre-unzip likely won't make any difference.

Last edited:

rentalunshipped982

Mar 23, 2023
Regular Firefox, ESR or developer version?
I know from past experience that it was a struggle to even get the extension installed in the first place, don't know about re-installing as have never tried that.
I'll try and see what gives, (don't normally use FF my self)

----------------------------------------------

Learn something new every day. Don't own a mac nor ever used one. So doing this pre-unzip likely won't make any difference.
Regular Firefox 130.0 (64-bit)

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020
First, thanks for this little gem of a program. I appreciate all the work that has and is being done.

Secondly, would it be possible to have the 'Notes' window text wrap based on window width (and if this has been previously addressed I apologize for the redundancy)? And the cherry on top of the icing would be having the option to switch to a monospaced font in that window.

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
Probably not, unfortunately. Bottom line is that Apple is super unfriendly to open source developers that don't use its proprietary tools. :(

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Probably not, unfortunately. Bottom line is that Apple is super unfriendly to open source developers that don't use its proprietary tools. :(
Not only Apple... see below for a totally different issue.

Regular Firefox 130.0 (64-bit)
And you probably installed and re-installed the extension from AMO using that icon in the beta's Extension section of the settings... and that's not going to work because the way the icons are used has changed.
And the AMO version will probably only get updated once the beta becomes an official release. (see edit)
I forgot about this but this has been an issue for a while now when switching from release to beta version... I used to only be able to install the extension from local source in the Developer version, but neither my original trick nor the one @r37r05p3C7 pointed me to seem to work anymore in that version. The first method just keeps complaining about a corrupted extension and the second just doesn't do anything anymore.

EDIT: Now officially listed on AMO, see this post. time to remove my copy and install/update directly from AMO.
NOTE: Starting with , the extension install button will now auto-switch to the corresponding extension's release page for either the release or beta version of the checker.

1725639388578.png

Last edited:

rentalunshipped982

Mar 23, 2023
Not only Apple... see below for a totally different issue.

And you probably installed and re-installed the extension from AMO using that icon in the beta's Extension section of the settings... and that's not going to work because the way the icons are used has changed. And the AMO version will probably only get updated once the beta becomes an official release.

I forgot about this but this has been an issue for a while now when switching from release to beta version... I used to only be able to install the extension from local source in the Developer version, but neither my original trick nor the one @r37r05p3C7 pointed me to seem to work anymore in that version.
The first one just keeps complaining about currupted extension and the second one just doesn't do anything.
Just to confirm what you're saying, I'll have to wait until the official release for the icons to reappear? If so, totally understandable, just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems with this particular build!

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Just to confirm what you're saying, I'll have to wait until the official release for the icons to reappear? If so, totally understandable, just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems with this particular build!
See the edit in my previous post. If he approves you won't have to wait that long.

TribalJOB

Jun 5, 2020
TribalJOB did you try moving the .app bundle to /Applications ? i remember something weird like this, if launched as .app the process does not get stdout and stderr, in terminal it does, and as .app from /Application it also does get them for some reason. i thought i made it work even if stdoutand stderr are missing but maybe i am mistaken
Sorry for the delay, was away from home and I couldn't test.
I followed batblue's advice, and indeed, after waiting about ten minutes the application launches well.
I don't really understand how it is that launching the app via the icon takes 10 minutes while launching it via the terminal is immediate...
That said, before the F95Checker test, I had only launched MacOS once to install Asahi Linux. Almost a year ago :LOL:, so my experience with macOS is more than limited.

Not sure if it's helpful, but there are a couple of quirks to it on my system which I'm so used to that I didn't think to post about them.

Code:
I didn't need to use the xattr command, but thanks for the info it might still be useful to me in the future.

Also, the first time I run each new version of the .app, it takes a really long time to start up. Like 5-10 minutes of bouncing in the dock. Sometimes getting in Activity Manager or the terminal and killing the processes, and then running again, helps. No idea what that's about since it doesn't do that if I run it from the terminal.

Neither one is a big deal, but the second one might make it seem like the .app build isn't working now that I think about it.
Yeah, that's pretty weird behavior. But I'm far from being a MacOS expert, I bought the MacBook only after discovering the existence of Asahi Linux.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020

Neither one is a big deal, but the second one might make it seem like the .app build isn't working now that I think about it.
Gotten curious I did a search, as I might someday get tempted enough to get a MacBook (not very likely but you never know, I'm already contemplating Linux Mint).
Not being a Mac user I don't know if this applies here, but your symptom does seem to indicate something similar may be the reason.
I found a reference on Reddit from a user which also experienced delays when running an app from the dock, although he saw it after every system restart and/or apps not used in a long time.
Even so this situation isn't exactly the same, the might give you a clue where to look for the cause.

• Thinking Face

TribalJOB

Jun 5, 2020
Gotten curious I did a search, as I might someday get tempted enough to get a MacBook (not very likely but you never know, I'm already contemplating Linux Mint).
Not being a Mac user I don't know if this applies here, but your symptom does seem to indicate something similar may be the reason.
I found a reference on Reddit from a user which also experienced delays when running an app from the dock, although he saw it after every system restart and/or apps not used in a long time.
Even so this situation isn't exactly the same, the might give you a clue where to look for the cause.
Hi FaceCrap,
indeed, OP is complaining about the exact same problem we are having here: the launch time of programs not used for a long time / new or after a reboot.
It seems that launching via terminal skips some security processes, hence the fact that it launches faster in this case.

If you have any questions about Linux Mint, don't hesitate. It's been the main OS on my PC for years. I use it mainly for gaming. And the MacBook with Asahi for the rest.
Here's an overview of my current favorites on steam and my setup :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As for the idea of being tempted by a MacBook, if not for MacOS, I advise you to wait a while to see the development of other manufacturers of arm64 chips.
of this architecture for laptops a while ago in partnership with microsoft.
There is a good chance that in a few months other manufacturers will also launch their chips and in the process more and more developers will publish arm64 versions of their software. And that includes developers of the various Linux distributions who are thinking about/have started porting to arm64 (unfortunately not Linux Mint yet).

Last edited:

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
It seems that launching via terminal skips some security processes, hence the fact that it launches faster in this case.
Isn't there a setting on MacOS to exclude a folder/app from being scanned? Similar like you can exclude folders/apps/filetypes in Windows Defender?
Not sure if that would alleviate the issue on MacOS

PS. Luv your sig :D

TribalJOB

Jun 5, 2020
Isn't there a setting on MacOS to exclude a folder/app from being scanned? Similar like you can exclude folders/apps/filetypes in Windows Defender?
Not sure if that would alleviate the issue on MacOS
It's possible, but as I said in my previous post, before testing F95Checker I had only launched MacOS once and for the sole purpose of launching the Asahi Linux installation script :sneaky:.
As for Windows Defender, since I haven't had Windows on my PC since 2018 or 2019... I don't know.

PS. Luv your sig :D
And thanks to yours for introducing me to F95Checker ;)

I see that we are both fans of sandbox games :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: FaceCrap
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes